Monday, April 14, 2008

Fun Filled Outings...Kinda



This weekend consisted of Dan and I going to blockbuster after work and renting There Will Be Blood (because he liked the name, NOT because he KNEW anything about the movie. Great way to pick a movie!) and The Music Within (something I've been wanting to see for awhile now).

We (per Dan's request) opted to watch There Will Be Blood that evening. Over all it was a good movie, definitely the type of film the Academy Awards drool over, but we had our doubts at the beginning when there was NO dialogue for at least 5 minutes. I was starting to worry that this movie would be alittle too artsy and had no dialogue at all. Luckily that changed. For those that don't know, the movies about an "Oil" man at the turn of the century. It goes through how he makes it rich in the oil industry and then how he gradually goes insane. A little slow moving but entertaining.

I took the second movie how with me and watched it before I went to bed that night, which meant I didn't fall asleep 'til 2am and I had to be up in the morning to help at an event for work...smart. The Music Within stars Ron Livingston and is about a guy that is injured in Vietnam and now is considered deaf because he has a constant ringing in his ears which prevents him from hearing really anything else. Because he's considered disabled the government won't pay for his university as they say that he'll never get hired and that he will become a surly and disruptive worker. He basically says F*** You to them and gets he's degree on his own and goes on to fight for people with disabilities rights, which apparently wasn't passed in Congress until 1992! Crazy, you just take for granted the rights some people have now, assuming that things like this were looked after before the 70's at least, not still issues when we were teenagers. Good movie. Dan apparently wants to watch it now so we'll see it again this week before we return it.

Saturday I was at the Fort Garry helping to supervise 18 children for an Entrepreneur Organization luncheon that my boss was involved in and that I volunteered for. I then passed out on the couch for a few hours (apparently really tired) and got ready at 5 to go over to K's parents for her birthday dinner and then out to Alive. Supper was delicious and the bar was fun. I even made it on to the dancer floor for awhile. Having a martini glass of what could only be described as a Cosmo (not totally sure what Kayla made for me but it tasted good), a glass of wine and three gin and tonics at the bar, left me feeling pretty much sober so I figured it was going to be one of those nights that I WASN'T going to be a cheap drunk and since I'm broke I decided to stop there. Fun regardless.

Sunday morning Dan and I had breakfast and I watched him shave (why do I enjoy this? no clue but its one of those comforting activities). I went home and applied the second coat of paint to the upstairs spare room. Supper at Dan's parents as per usual and we were back in the city for 7:30 so we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and went for an hour walk down by the river on the west side of Henderson. I actually really like that area of the city, perhaps one day...

Now I'm back at work and need to get the 2007 books done this week for one of the many companies I work for, hopefully I can manage it with out having to put in over time.

2 comments:

Kayler said...

It was cranberry mix, vodka and hypnotiq with a splash of 7up.
I don't have a name for it.

Marcia said...

I heard on Oprah that homosexuality was decriminalized in 2003 in the US!