Thursday, October 22, 2009

Finding time


I can't believe how busy I've been lately. I've actually had things I wanted to write but I can never seem to find enough time to complete a post. Yesterday I set up a webinar/teleconference in the boardroom for staff to be trained on new features of a job search engine with my laptop, and since it wasn't relevant to me I went back to my office. Having an hour with out my computer allowed me to tidy up my desk, that never seems to stay clean for long. Now that things are tidy I feel a little more under control, hence the ability to write a post right now!


For those that I haven't told yet, I started working out at Elite (one of the companies my boss owns and I do the books for). As an employee they are giving my 3 months free with their trainers, something that usually runs for $125+/month.


I go 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday & Friday) at 7:00am before I go to work. This is my third week. I was pleasantly surprised to find the trainers extremely supportive and encouraging, and that there is wide range of people working out with me. Its not like I'm surrounded by body builders and athletes (which they do also train), rather there are a few women around my age and body type, young guys who are in high school/university football, a range of athletes, and a few middle age people. No one stares and snickers when I'm incapable of doing the basics because lets face it - I'm completely out of shape, especially on the weight training aspect.


My first day I had to go downstairs to use the 2lb dumbbells because I couldn't lift the 5lb ones which are usually the lightest that they start people with - I suggested that perhaps I could just lift my fists, they didn't go for that. On a positive, yesterday I did the same exercise with the 5lb weights! I'm like the freak'n Hulk! My arms only started to give on the fourth set. Impressive, I know.


I had meant to document my daily exercise plan when I started but I never could find time to type it out so I guess I'll start with yesterdays:


Warm up - Bike:


  • 5minutes at Level 3

  • 5minutes at Level 20, seat lowered & with water in my mouth the entire time (this is to control your breathing)

  • 5 minutes; 1:1 Level 20/Level 3 (bring the seat back up to your regular position, then you do one minute at level 20, then down to level 3, for 10 minutes in total)

Personalized workout for the day:



  • Clover - 5 sets of 10 reps - 10 lateral arm raises, 10 front arm raises, 10 overhead press, & 10 dumbbell rows; I started these with 2lbs weights (see above) but for this time I'm using the 5lbs.

  • 10 minutes on the treadmill; incline @ 15, speed 3.9, walk/run - I'm not suppose to hold on, sadly I can do it hands free for 1minute max and then I'm holding on for dear life, after 2 minutes I'm pausing the damn thing to catch my breath and drink some water, and then I'm back on walking/running until I get to the 10 minutes

  • 10 minutes on the treadmill; incline @ 15, speed 1.9, lunges - the first time I did this I stretched my leg out to far when I bent my knee down and it flew off the treadmill; this is NOT a happy feeling, I had images of my face planting into the tread it didn't happen but still - I hold on now! Basically you walk on the inclined treadmill doing lunges; currently my struggle is that my legs are flexible enough to bend properly in the lunge so I look like I'm just walking. I'm working on it.

  • The exchange; 3 sets of 20 - lay flat on the mat on your back, your arms stretched out beyond your head with a medicine ball in your hands, bring your arms up with the ball and towards you stomach. Bring your legs up towards your stomach at the same time. Transfer the ball to your feet. Straighten out. Repeat, transfer ball to hands. Straighten, and so one. - I currently can't manage this with the ball so they have me going through the process without the ball but everything else stays the same.

  • Russian Torture; 2 sets of 60 - balance on your butt, legs bent at 90degrees in front of you. With a medicine ball in your hands, move the ball from your right side, to your left side and then to your middle. When at your middle slightly lift the ball up and tighten your core. Repeat for 60, rest and then do it all over again. - I hate this exercise. I can do max 7 reps before I fall over.

*I was going to post pictures but its taking me longer then I expected to find examples online so maybe later.


That was it for the day. An approximate hour workout that takes me 1.5hours. I shower and rush off to work.


Also they have me on a restricted meal plan right now (yesterday they said they are changing it Friday or Monday):


Breakfast: I get to keep my coffee with cream, plus a yogurt and a multivitamin


Snack: 20 almonds


Lunch: a meat sandwich or salad with meat


Supper: 1 cups of potatoes/pasta/rice, 1 cup of vegetables & 3 oz of meat.


*Apparently no restrictions on condiments and sauces, but I can't eat fruit (because of the sugar) or sugar drinks.



1 comment:

Judy said...

Way to go... I'll have to follow suit!