Friday, April 3, 2009

Small Changes

Recently Dan and I have been discussing turning towards a vegetarian diet.

Dan, being the "crazy cat lady" that he is, realizes that its hypocritical of him to enjoy his steaks, burgers and ribs when he hates the idea of killing animals himself, especially anything that he thinks is cute.

As for myself, I find that I'm not so much against killing an animal for food, as when I was growing up we raised chickens that we personally slaughter in the fall and I helped gut the fish that we caught in the summer so I appreciate the circle of live but I personally hate the idea of supporting the mass production of meats that come from animals that were raised inhumanely and pumped full of hormones nor do I feel that its necessary to eat meat just because it 'tastes good' when I can make an equally delicious vegetarian meal.

Although neither of us are prepared to completely cut meat out of our diets, we both agree that removing it from our own cooking is at least a step in the right direction. My goal is to use up the meat I have in the house and then only purchase free range poultry or fish on a minimal quantities, more so for making meals when company comes over, and no more red meats. We will still eat meats served to us when we go to friends and families for dinners but we are going to try to make a conscious decision to chose alternatives when ever the opportunity arises.

Currently I'm looking for vegetarian sandwiches as Dan prefers sandwiches for lunches to salads and left overs and I don't want to just depend on veggie sandwich 'meat'.

No comments: