Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tax Time Bullshit

Unlike my sister I'm not so impressed with 'tax' time right now as I just got a Statement of Accounts from the government saying I was reassessed back in October (never got the letter since I had moved by then and didn't update my address with them til January...who would have known!) and owe them $500 because apparently I can't claim the Manitoba property tax/rent credit when the owner lives at the same residence. Bullshit since they claimed my freaking rent on their taxes.

I was transferred to 4 different people, the general inquiry line, the reassessment branch federally, the Winnipeg Tax Centre and finally a voicemail line for the property tax branch who will hopefully get back to me tomorrow. I kept my cool and was very polite but currently I'm calling Bullshit on their asses. Since when can you NOT claim rent in a single family dwelling so long as the owner claims the revenue? So this might work out as a wash for me this year if I can't claim rent anymore and owe from last year.

Very Annoyed!!

No comments: