Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Marking myself

For along time now, I have wanting a tattoo but I have never acted on it because I can never settle on the WHERE and the WHAT.

I have had ideas that I've liked for a few years now so I know that I would likely never regret the decision, specifically:
  1. The constellation of Pisces on my lower back with the images of Aphrodite & Eros in mermaid/man form (because I don't like Koi fish tattoos...) tied together other the stars - this seems like a detailed tattoo and one I'm not ready to commit to any time soon.
  2. The double bow with an arrow - way to geeky for me to put on myself as my first tattoo as it represents a series of books I love....maybe as a second or third tattoo.
Recently I've thought that a nice first tattoo could be a quote. I was thinking of incorporating part to the Captain Corelli's Mandolin quote I used in our wedding:

“Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love", which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.”



― Louis de Bernières, Captain Corelli's Mandolin

But its so long that I'm not sure which piece I would use and where I could put it.

After going through the LDI and coming up with my "GPS" I think it would be nice to have a reminder with me at all times that encompasses "Acting without regard for others perception of me, I voice my true opinion & chose to create a life of balance and contentment". Since I'm sure the actual statement will evolve over time I'm not really interested in marking my self with those specific words, rather a quote that is more symbolic, something like the "Dance as though no one is watching..." quote.


Can you suggest anything else that seems appropriate? What do you think?

Also I hesitate to put something like this on my back as I would like to see  it with out looking in the mirror but am not sure how it would look on my forearm...any suggestions to placement? Thoughts!?

No comments: